Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Everything you didn't want to know about Katie

This took a long time, but it was really fun.

1. I love love love weddings.


2. I hope to one day do something with weddings, be a wedding planner, cater, or open a reception center with my mom and/or sisters.


3. I want all boys. I got all girled out by my family.


4. I love sunglasses, even though I think I look dumb in them.


5. I have a weird “eveness” thing. If someone hits me on one arm, they have to do it on the other side too (or I’ll secretly do it to myself). My evenness has calmed down since I’ve had kids. I used to only have the TV volume on an even number, and I just grew out this. Pathetic, I know.


6. I type what people are saying when they talk (just sometimes).


7. OR I play the piano. My fingers just move, it’s not like I play an air piano.


8. I love being cheap.


9. Along with being cheap, Adam and I LOVE going to yard sales in the summer.


10. It’s fun to tell people I got my wedding ring from Costco. It's my favorite store.


11. I eat eggs every day for breakfast. “Scrambled Everything” is my favorite. I just take whatever veggies I have, chop them up, scramble them with my eggs topped with a little cheese, love it.


12. I used to have huge poofy bangs (surprise, I’m sure everyone knew this one) and I just can’t get rid of mine now.


13. I love getting the mail, it’s one of my favorite things to do.


14. I hate laundry, and it always piles up (it’s clean, it’s just the folding and putting away I hate).


15. I am very proud of the fact that I graduated from college shortly after having Sam (Sam was 3 months earlier than we wanted him to be…surprise!)


16. I never ever want to go back to school. EVER. Unless it’s culinary school.


17. I have a hard time wearing my hair down. I run my hands through it and ruin it and I can’t stand the feeling of it down, I love it UP.


18. Being pregnant is fun, until the last 6 weeks.


19. I have 2 fingernails growing together on my right pointer finger.


20. I have a unibrow (thank goodness for tweezers).


21. I hate pants and usually remove them by the time I get to the kitchen table.


22. I could eat rice krispy treats every night for dessert. I make a small amount on Saturday or Sunday night, put it in a little bowl, and eat it with a spoon. Yum!


23. One of the best parts of having kids is always having snackie foods with me at all times.


24. I overpack for trips.


25. I am always prepared with my diaper bag. Band-aids, snacks, Tylenol, germ-ex etc.


26. I am registered as an independent and very often don’t vote republican.

27. Ghost stories fascinate me, but scare me to death.


28. I love to wash my feet, and grate them and lotion them, and then jump in bed. And Adam is not allowed to touch them with any part of his body.


29. I love nursing my children right when they get up and right before bedtime because they cuddle up to me.


30. I enjoy making fancy desserts for other people to eat.

(i love love love creme burlee)

31. I love cooking period.


32. The one thing I can’t make is boxed brownies. They never turn out right.


33. My dog’s name was Quinn and we named him after one of my elementary school crushes.


34. I used to milk a goat every day at 5. I hated her. Her name was Honey. She looked like Jar Jar Binks. (My sister had to drink goats milk until she was 4.)

(she seriously looked like this, but with crazy eyes)


35. When I was little, every birthday wish was for a baby animal.


36. I have been known to go hunting for baby birds to save and raise on my own. It’s never worked. I even hid eggs from the fridge around the house hoping they would hatch.


37. I’ve castrated and branded goats and cows.


38. I love taking care of people and animals and I wanted to be a nurse or a vet, but I can’t stand blood or biology.


39. My kids full names are beers and I think it’s fun. But we’re done doing that.

40. Adam and I met on a blind date set up by our mothers.


41. I was married at age 18.


42. Adam and I have never lived in a house that has less than 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.


43. I was in marching band and symphonic band all 4 years of high school and loved every minute of it. I even did a little Jazz band piano. I was band president my senior year (I know it is quite dorky, my dad told me, “You have to have someone cool lead the geeks.”

44. I learned more my Senior year than I had up to that point. The band directior was being fired for embezzlement, and I was literally holding the band program together with a handful of other people.


45. I always had a boyfriend in high school and I very much regret it now. Although I did learn a lot.


46. I use my rear-view mirror to see my kids, not the cars behind me. I’m scared to look at the cars behind me (I use the side windows) because in my accident before I got married I looked up and saw the truck wasn’t going to stop and then it smashed my car.


47. All of my grandparents are alive and I dread the day that the first one dies.

(Almost all of Jack's great-grandparents - top left - grandma linda and grandpa duke adam's grandparents - then grandma and grandpa Dunn

bottom - grandma and grandpa sparks - the only ones missing from this picture is Mamina who is still alive and her husband Papillo who has passed on)


48. I like cleaning and after it’s done, I love to step back and look at what I’ve accomplished.


49. I have had a colonoscopy.


50. I was 5’2” in 5th grade, 5’ 3 ¾’ in 7th grade and I haven’t grown since.


51. I don’t read many books not because I don’t like to, but when I find one I like I get so engrossed in it that I neglect everything, including my husband and children. But I do love to read.


52. I love hot chocolate so much that I think if I weren’t LDS I’d be a big coffee drinker. I love warm fragrant drinks and I love the smell of Starbucks.


53. I don’t like cleaning tubs, toilets, or unloading the dishwasher. I do everything else and Adam occasionally does those for me. Nice guy (or maybe not so nice because I really mean EVERYTHING else).


54. I’m glad I never had the chance to go on a mission. I would’ve come home within a week. I like the comforts of home too much, and I’ve never really been away from my family.


55. I’m from California, we moved when I was 7, but I claim Utah.


56. In Utah, I’ve never lived outside of the northern half of Utah County. And I never want to.


57. I don’t really wear necklaces or bracelets (especially since I’ve had kids, they pull them!), I only wear earrings.


58. I hardly go anywhere without mascara but I don’t wear anything else. Eyeshadow occasionally.


59. I am addicted to celebrity gossip. There. I admitted it.


60. I am extremely scared of sharks. I don’t go very far into the ocean. I didn’t even go snorkeling in Hawaii because I was so scared.

61. I have this weird fear that my ring will slip off my finger at the exact wrong time, like when the toilet flushes or I walk over a rain gutter. So I hold it tight when I do those things.


62. I am pro at hula hooping on the Wii. 872 on the 3 minute advanced.


63. I love going to bed early.


64. Flip-flops are my shoe of choice.


65. I have had braces twice.


66. I still don’t know why I did this, but I participated in Miss Alpine my senior year. I didn’t win, but I was really proud of myself for doing things in front of an audience, especially playing the piano.


67. I have never broken a bone.


68. I have never had a cavity.


69. Back when my hair was curly, I wanted it to be straight. Since I’ve had kids and it’s now straight, I want it curly.


70. I have monster babies, for those of you who don’t know. Sam was 9 lbs and Jack was 9 lb 14 oz.

(Jack minutes after birth)


71. I love the news. Reading and watching. But I can’t watch it very often because I get really into sad and depressing stories and I feel as if the world is coming to an end. I only occasionally look at the news online.


72. One of my favoritest pieces of furniture (I guess it’s not really furniture) is an old school gym locker that I got at a yard sale. $5. And it stores all my weird little things that really don’t have a place. Love it.


73. I am very loyal.


74. I fell on top of Donny Osmond. We went and saw him carry the torch in front of AF hospital and on the way back in the crowd I noticed he was right in front of me. I turned around and pointed at him looking at my dad and mouthing, “It’s Donny!” and my dad said, “Touch him.” I said, “No.” This happened about 3 times, then my dad pushed me right into him!!! He toppled on the ground and I kinda fell on top of him. He gave me the worst crusty ever.


75. My parents’ backyard in the summer at dusk is heaven to me. It is so beautiful and I love the huge garden. It’s even better now that there is a fire pit. We spend lots of time there. Eating fresh peas from the garden and having pea shell fights makes it even better.

(I love the little shed that used to be my grandpa's garage. It's so cute and quaint. This is only a tiny part of the yard, oh i love it.)

76. I love the fact that as my sisters and I get older, we become better friends.

(we all look so little! Look how tiny Squiddles is!!! I mean "little" in a literal way for me...)


77. I used to be scared to death of boys (since I had no idea what they were like growing up in a girl family). I overcame that quickly.


78. I had my first kiss way too young, barely 13.


79. Whenever I go anywhere, I like to clean my house so it’s clean when I come home. Especially vacations, it’s so nice to come home to clean sheets, clean floors, clean bathrooms. Ahhh, I love it.


80. I hate monkeys. They are ugly and scary.


81. I listen to music before I hear the lyrics. A lot of times I find out that the lyrics are bad after I’ve started to love the song.


82. I am deathly afraid of needles.


83. I think Thanksgiving is a waste of time. We should just skip it and go directly to Christmas.


84. My favorite movies are School of Rock, Pride and Prejudice, and Dan in Real Life.


85. I hate music on blogs. Sorry friends.


86. Today I want 4 kids. Sometimes it’s 5, and on some awful days, it’s 2.


87. I think it’s snobbish and rude not to share recipes. Good food is to be enjoyed by everyone.


88. I love clean sheets.


89. I never moved out of my parents house until I got married, and then I moved up the street to this house for 6 months.

(housesitting is the best)


90. Before bed, I put Vaseline on my lips, the corners of my nose and under my eyes, and sometimes on my elbows. It helps keep them nice and soft. Random and weird I know.


91. My favorite class in college was actually The History of Jazz. I love love Jazz and everything about it. The class was so fun.

(Duke Ellington and his band)


92. I love leftovers from restaurants.


93. I love Seinfield.


94. I can’t wait for the day when I wake up from surgery and I am a C. Hallelujah. That day will be glorious.


95. I love anything with berries.


96. I love my maiden name, Sparks. I never wanted to change it, but Dayton isn't bad.


97. I hate public anything, speaking, playing the piano, singing, teaching. It all scares me to death.


98. My favorite color is black.


99. I am very opinionated, as you can tell, I love or hate everything.


100. I always wanted to be a stay at home mommy, and I am so glad that I have the opportunity to do so.


101. I play 3 instruments. Clarinet, baritone and piano.


Okay so I guess that's one over 100.


Wow, you made it! You must be a good friend.


I tag everyone. I am serious.

21 comments:

Natalie Wright said...

Yeah! Loved it. Good for you! Can your hubby convince mine that yard sales are the funnest thing ever?

Sarah said...

What a fun post! I loved learning and remembering those great things about you...What ever happened with Quinn (both of them)?

megs said...

I loved this! It makes me want to come over and visit you immediately. You're one of my favorites!

Spliz said...

we should have a community yard sale this spring!
I think it's impressive you could think of 100 interesting things. I only got as far as 25.

lauren elizabeth said...

Funny, Funny!
Oh, that Donny Osmond story is the best. He sure did glare at you. . . Haha.

Parkinson Family said...

fun! i totally want to do it, but never take the time to, but LOVE reading other peoples!

Nina said...

Thanks Katie, it was really nice to know more about you and I loved your honesty!

Amy said...

I loved reading about you Katie! Thankfully, a few weeks ago I made the music on our blog so that the reader has to press the play button, and it doesn't just start playing on its own-because that bugs me too! :) So, now you can visit our blog without being frustrated!! :)

Carr Family said...

Ok, I LOVED reading this. I was laughing at some and I could totally relate to a lot of them. Of course there were a handful that I was thinking "wow she is strange"....but in a good way I promise. haha. :) You are way more interesting than me. I'm not sure I could even come up with 20.

Jeff and Kira said...

You are so funny! This was really fun to read! :)

Amy Dayton said...

Katie- I learned so much about you, and noticed some things I didn't know we had in common! I wanted to comment after each number....so here is a long list of my comments:)
#5-I have never noticed this about you, but now I'm going to watch for it!!
#20-I highly doubt you have a true unibrow...a few stray hairs maybe.
#22-I really don't get you taking off your pants at the kitchen table, did I read that right??
#39 Sorry to tell you Jack Daniels is not a beer. Alcoholic beverage yes.
#54-I'm totally with you on this! So glad it's not a requirement for girls. I feel much better suited in my calling as a mother/wife.
#67&68- Me either, and I'm so proud!
#74 this story made me laugh out loud..I would love to see Donny Osmond give you a crusty!
#79- I do this too, I even like to clean the kitchen before I cook a meal, it's just nice to start with a fresh clean surface.

Thanks for posting this, it was really interesting! Hope you don't mind all my comments :)

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

That is really cute. I didn't know alot of things.

Steffy said...

You are so fun! I totally didn't know a bunch of these!

Anonymous said...

"NO AND I DON'T CARE!!!"

Ask Adam

Ranaebang said...

I love the story about Donny Osmond! My coworkers up here in Boise are always talking about me and my mormon celebrities the Osmonds. I had to share this story with them. The sad part is they don't believe it. I love it! So awesome and perfectly embarassing. ;)

Nicole said...

I am the same as you about cleaning!! LOL

Ainsley said...

I read every single one of these!

I don't think I could think of 100 things about my self, but it is a pretty fun challenge...maybe i'll try. First kiss at 13, haha, i really regret having a boyfriend in high school too, think of all the fun we could have had if we both would have dumped those stupid boys!

Andrea Ingersoll said...

I just read all of those, and I loved it. I thought I knew everything about you, but it turns out I don't!! Haha you're a funny one. I love that your dad said that the geeks needed someone cool to lead them. That's awesome.

Brandon and Lindsay said...

Wow, I don't know if I would be able to think of 100 things about myself people would want to know...you did a good job! Ok...so let's see here, I totally remember Quinn- cute golden lab or retriever right? He was so cute. I type along with everything too! Who was your first kiss at 13?? I didn't know that! You think Thanksgiving is a waste of time?? ARE YOU NOT A FAN OF FOOD?? Yes I do remember your poofy bangs, and I'm sure you remember mine =) One of my memories at your house were the scrambled eggs your mom made. They had ham in them and were topped with cheese--sooo good! And...I am addicted to celebrity gossip too! Hm...well there's a few things I can put on mine!

David and Jana said...

Okay, so I am a blog stalker...lol. It was fun to read and find out more about you. You are great!

Jamie said...

Katie - I'm so glad you left a comment on MY blog so I could find yours and stalk YOU :) So glad you made a "list" also! You're awesome! I have the same clean foot fetish (especially in the summer time - I have to at least wipe down my feet before I go to bed!)